Home-made Grain Free Dog Cake
Happy Birthday Daysie! Today, you are one year older, a little bit wiser, a tad more fluffier and just a little bit more crazy.
This week we celebrated Daysie's fourth birthday party along with some of her siblings gotcha day. We usually purchase a birthday cake from our local dog bakery, but we wanted to do something a little bit different for her and her siblings; a customized home-made individual birthday cake.
This recipe is grain-free, using coconut flour (has a sweet smell of coconuts!) You can bake this cake on a baking sheet or you can hand mold each using a round cutter to get more cake. If you don't have a circular cutter, you can always cut using a knife and make little square cakes! Both very adorable!
The frosting is a simple combination of Greek yogurt and honey. It uses no thickener so it is slightly runnier as compared to human frosting but settles very nicely on top. This cake is topped with a little bit of fruit to get the pup a little something special.
The cakes were very easy to make, plus they were made for a fraction of the cost!
Just like all new foods for your furry little one, be sure to give them small amounts to ensure their little tummies are adjusted to it.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 17 Minutes
Total Time: 27 Minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 Mini Cakes
Serving Size: 4 to 6 Dogs
2 cups of coconut flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ cup of cream peanut butter
3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
3 large eggs
2/3 cups of water
2 cups of shredded apples (about 4 apples)
1 cup of Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons of honey
1. Start by making the cake. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush both sides of parchment paper with coconut oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Add the peanut butter, honey, oil, eggs, and water. Mix until completely combined and then fold in the shredded apples. Pour the dough onto the lined baking sheet and spread it out into one even layer. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
3. To make the frosting, whisk together the Greek yogurt and honey.
4. Using a 4-inch round cutter, stamp out a series of small cakes. I got about 4-5 from my baking sheet depending of sheet size and thickness. (Scraps can be saved as little dog treats. Place in a ziplock bag or airtight container and place in the refrigerator. They should last up to a week!)
5. Stack the cakes in two or three and top with a dollop of “frosting”. Add an toppings that you desire. You can add small bits of fruit, toasted coconut flakes or even your pets favorite treat.
6. Insert candles and celebrate!